Thursday, October 4, 2012

a J. O. B.

Well everyone... after 2 months... I got a job! And I can't even tell you how happy I am about it. I'll be working as an administrative assistant in the trauma and critical care unit of the hospital (right there next to Steve!). I think it'll be really great. Of all the places I interviewed, this was my top choice. Honestly, I'm so ready to say goodbye to these hours of free time.

Having so much time on your hands is an interesting phenomena. Sometimes the amount of time I had was so overwhelming I did nothing with it. Then I would have that awful, depressing feeling of being unproductive. Then the next day I would over-do it and get everything done in just a few hours, then  be left with that time again, the cycle continuing. Having a good job is the perfect solution. I think everyone takes it for granted sometimes, wishing they had more time off and what not, but I'm here to say, too much time-off is not that awesome.

All that extra time gave me an opportunity to think and reflect, though. I thought about a lot of things, my future, my past, ethics, the world-it's wonders and problems, why people are the way they are, etc. Not that I came up with anything spectacular, I just thought about it all.

Steve would ask me, "What would be your dream job?".  And all day I would think about it. But I'm surprised with myself that I don't have an answer. I don't know if I've ever had an answer, even as a child. I don't know if it's because of my personality or if I don't have big enough dreams. Maybe I don't have big dreams because I fear failure or I don't want to work hard enough to achieve them? I don't know (like I said, I never come up with anything spectacular when I think). Maybe this is a little deep, but I wonder sometimes if other people feel like this.

Then I ran across this short video.

That is exactly how I feel!!!!! I can't close the gap!

So I've decided to "do more work". And maybe having this new job will help me figure out the answer to Steve's question one day.

Is it easy for you to describe your dream job? What do you think of the clip?

1 comment:

  1. YAY! And I know exactly how that feels. I don't know what my dream job is either, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing. When do you start this new job?

    ReplyDelete